When someone says photo shoot, what is your first reaction. Stress? Anxiety? Fear? For most of us, myself included, being in front of the camera can be nerve wracking. We want to be natural but the focus of the lens can often turn us into stiff robots. What is the trick to being yourself and showing your spark? After hundreds of photo shoots and capturing all types of personalities, here are five tips to boost your confidence so you shine in front of the camera.
1. Give yourself permission. Sometimes we let our inner doubts and criticism sabotage our efforts. Well, it’s time to own it! You deserve this photo moment and special attention. Be it for yourself, your family or your business - you are worthy of this experience. Tell your story.
2. Invest in professional beauty experts. Say yes to getting your hair blown out and say yes to getting your makeup professionally applied. This experience will boost your confidence at your shoot and beyond. You will not only look but FEEL beautiful.
3. Find your killer outfit. Wear something that makes you feel confident and comfortable. Choose clothing that expresses your personality either through the color or pattern. Make sure the fit is good and not too baggy or too tight. Don’t pick something that is fussy or that makes you self-conscious. I love necklines that are open to elongate the neck. I also love vibrant color. Accessories like a statement necklace or a bright scarf can add that perfect pop. And if you are still struggling, hire a stylist or ask for help at a local boutique or department store.
5. Work with someone you trust. There are a ton of photographers out there and what works for someone else may not work for you. Do the work and review portfolios, read testimonials and then pick up the phone to have a live conversation. Ask questions about the session. Get a sense of the photographer’s personality and work style. See if it fits with yours. You want to work with someone that you like and trust. The photography experience is a relationship. You want to make sure your spark is fully captured!
6. Have fun! Sure, it is nerve wracking to be in front of the camera. But remember, your story can only be best told by YOU. Ditch any perfectionism issues at the door and be your self. Let go and live in the moment. Laugh a LOT.
If you've been trying for that photo that tells your story and captures the best version of you, let me help YOU. I am part of a fabulous photography event called Style & Focus on May 20th. It will be hosted at the best dress boutique I know, Dressed by Lori, in Millburn NJ on May 20th. Imagine arriving and having your hair, makeup, wardrobe styling and photography ALL taken care of you. You just sit back and enjoy the photo-fun ride. Find out more HERE.